Helen Findlay


My adventures in Middle Europe and The Colonies. This blog contains my own views and opinions and does not represent those of my employers, or any other organisation with which I am involved. Remember, just because it isn't Singletrackworld, doesn't mean it isn't shite !

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Chased by the Muffia and swimming with da fishes

Been away for a while and not had the chance to write an update. Event of note recently was the Scottish Cross Country Mountain bike champs up in Inverness. Was a bit worried as this was only my second race in the Elite/Expert category and having been utterly tanked and coming last in the race before, hopes were not high so I decided to relax and enjoy myself.

It was a great course, lots of variety and and some good fun descents. Made a much better job of this race, was in amongst it for the first lap, then had a comedy crash on the second. Totally my own fault, there was a wee narrow bridge over a river, and was going well so feeling confident I asked the marshall as I passed "has anybody fallen in yet ?" Stupid stupid stupid !! It was enough to lose concentration and go head first into the river. I was VERY VERY LUCKY, there was a river to catch my bike and a shrub to catch my face. Only injury a few bashes on my face and a bit of a black eye. Got back on my bike and everything seemed to be working. Lost a fair bit of time and was getting caught by the girl behind me, so dug in and did a faster 3rd lap to hold her off.

Finished in 6th this time out of 7, 7 mins back on the Scottish Champ Catherine as opposed to 14 mins back last race so more than happy with that. Oh, and I actually quite enjoyed it too ! The race was won by Genevieve Whitson, a fellow Kiwi, so a good result all around.