Helen Findlay


My adventures in Middle Europe and The Colonies. This blog contains my own views and opinions and does not represent those of my employers, or any other organisation with which I am involved. Remember, just because it isn't Singletrackworld, doesn't mean it isn't shite !

Monday, June 20, 2005

Scottish National Duathlon Champs 18th June

A couple of months ago, my friend Kim emailed me: "theres a duathlon around Arthurs Seat in Edinburgh, you do a bit of running, do you fancy doing it ?" Well I can say now with considerable authority, there is quite a difference between doing a bit of running and taking part in a running race. And I am deeply suspicious that she only wanted me along so there would be somebody she could beat (sorry Kim - just joking - honest).

Decided my best approach to avoid humiliation was to dress as obviously like a cyclist as possible, and wear some very dark sunglasses. And ask lots of really really really stupid questions at the registration. Sample: "why are you writing a number on me, will it wash off in the shower tonight, where do I pin my number, can I draft off the other cyclists" etc etc.

Luckily it was a lovely warm day without too much wind, so it was nice to be out and about. The first run section was hell - I lost about 5 mins from the front of the race over 5k. Did better on the bike section and passed 4 girls (and quite a few blokes) but it was too short to make up for my rubbish running. The second run of another 5k didn't hurt so much, but I looked over my shoulder in the last 200 metres and was getting caught by a lassie I had passed on the bike, so had to sprint for the finish. That hurt rather a lot !!

In the end my mate Kim came 5th, and I came 8th in a field of about 15, and we had a good time, laughing at the weird triathlete types (just pick a sport guys - and preferably one that doesn't involve running in grut togs). It's two days later and I still can't walk properly. Never again !! Might just leave running for fun from now...